Monday, June 9, 2008

The Beauty of Doing Nothing

"Doing Nothing" in modern version might not be the meditation done by Buddhist monks in the past.  This is my "doing nothing" style:  I explored the web and try out various new stuffs like zoho.com, google maps, and a myriad of other things.  Apparently, there are many things in the internet that now support ordinary people to get information, easily, and painlessly, given you have the time and enough intelligence to dig it out (and to del.icio.us it).  It is very helpful in making the gestalt, or the overall picture of the world.  Right, now the world is flat.  What happens in the other side of the world can be broadcasted instantly by Yahoo! News to my computer screen in like... a second (just watch the Dow Jones and Nasdaq closing price).  Wow!
Living in the abundance of information like this is actually very fun.  We can swim through and makes many many links in our heads that connects things.  At Google maps, you can even explore the map with photos attached to it.  You can peek into a NTU student's mind in her blog, and a Buddhist monk also in her blog.  It's like the internet has revolutionized our world in a sense that no one can imagine before.
If I'm not "doing nothing" today, maybe this development will be missing also from my head.  The next big thing is still the internet, how we can use it more effectively to improve productivity and communication.
I never imagine how computers have evolved.  My parents can't use it very well.  I never use computer until about 10 years ago, and my first computer has CGA monitor (black and white).  I wonder who can use this myriad of technology?  It's too good to be true, but I see that this technology is targeted for us twenty-somethings, and maybe thirty-somethings.  But people over forty might not learn the new skill very well.
Wow!  What if everyone can use this... 

No comments: