Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Credit Card Foolishness

I'm not a big fan of credit cards because it'll add up only useless expenses for the advantage of the bank. And it's not secured. But because of its practicality, a few months ago I got myself one.
But now it pose a problem. Not because I spend over my limit, but because of the telemarketing of a company called "Diva Tour and Travel Indonesia" and its "Paradise Club" program. Credit card holders, beware! It has been four years since this company operated and it has hundreds of telemarketer trying to fool people everyday, and make them buy their card.

It works like this: first, they'll call you and confirm your address. They'll say that they are from Visa/Mastercard. Then they'll speak about the FREE hotel voucher (for three nights) and discounts. Then they'll try to convince you that you're special, good credit rate, etc, etc. And last, they'll say that you will be billed Rp.2,990,000. (whether you like it or not). They'll say that you'll have a certificate of guarantee to refund your money, but I don't believe a word. And they'll send a courier to your home with a machine or something (luckily this guy never came).

As long as you DON'T give your credit card number and/or your bank, it'll OK. But for safety, today I blocked my credit card (maybe I over-reacted).

Be very careful, new credit card owners out there. Several people I know go through this from time to time, fall into their traps. You read this, hopefully you'll be immune. Just don't entertain them. Hang up on the second you're suspicious. Nowadays, robbers are not using knives anymore. They are using their telephones.

I don't know their mode of operation at first, but I do remember a credo:
"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

That saves me because it made me awake of the COST, before the benefits.
Like it saves me from a lot of other things.

No comments: